Monday 26 January 2015

Jonathan Yeo Portraits Exhibition at the Laing Art Gallery, Newcastle

Yesterday I paid a visit to Newcastle's Laing Art Gallery to see the Jonathan Yeo Portrait Exhibition and how pleased I am that I did. Although I have seen a few of his works reproduced in magazines and on posters, nothing quite prepared me for how stunning they are 'face to face'.

 



What particularly struck me was the range of different styles and techniques that Yeo utilises. 

Compare for example the portrait of Michael Parkinson which uses bold blocks of colour to recreate those familiar features, 










......and then study the wonderful smooth flesh tones on the portrait of his daughter Tabitha.

Also featured are several of Yeo's notebook sketches and a very good breakdown of how his portrait of Damien Hirst was created. Fascinating stuff.

The exhibition is running at the Laing until 15th February so if you happen to be in Newcastle I strongly recommend a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment