Wednesday 31 December 2014

Very Best Albums of 2014 - The Top 3

So we come to my favourite three albums of 2014 which I shall as usual reveal in reverse order. 

Cue drum roll.

At number 3. 'They Want My Soul' by Spoon
I have been a fan of this band since their 2007 album 'Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga' and while this latest release offers nothing new in terms of a musical progression since then, it is sonically far superior to 2010's 'Transference'. The lack of musical progress to me is not necessarily such a bad thing, particularly when the band are doing what they do best. In case you aren't familiar with their work, they do really catchy rocking tunes on a sublime aural landscape created in this instance with help from renowned co-producers Joe Chiccarelli and Dave Fridmann. If something works as well as this, why change?
Why indeed!

At number 2. 'Lateness of Dancers' by Hiss Golden Messenger
They made it as far as number 6 in my selections for 2013 which considering that the album 'Haw' is every bit as good as 'Lateness of Dancers', demonstrates that the quality this year has not been quite as high as last. In my opinion of course. 
This is a wonderful album though and if you don't believe me, read here what I wrote about it in September, or better still, get the album and play it.


1. 'Lost in the Dream' by The War On Drugs 
I recorded my initial thoughts on this album in March. Read them here. 
Rather surprisingly I find that my own choice for best album of 2014 is also featuring very heavily in most other 'Best Album' selections in the music press. Maybe I'm not so out of touch after all. 
It's a great album, so I suggest you drop everything and go to listen to it now.

Whatever you do, have a very happy and healthy new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment