Thursday 28 August 2014

Messages at the church of Ayios Ilias

On a rocky outcrop 100 metres above the towns of Protaras and Pernera stands the tiny Orthodox church of Ayios Ilias. 

The temperatures even in the late afternoon may have been over forty degrees, but the climb of over 100 steps was still worth it to experience not just the tranquillity of the church....








.... but also to admire the spectacular views.




I would have liked to have learnt more about the church and its history but sadly have been unable to do so.







Nevertheless I spent some time there just taking in the scenery.











Not just outside, but also in the welcome cool shade of the church interior.












The trees outside were festooned with ribbons and cards on which had been written messages and prayers.

Two in English caught my eye. Tom had written, "Dear Grandad Brian. I hope you are having a nice time in Heaven. We miss you."

His brother Jack however, had more earthly things on his mind. He wrote, "Dear Grandad Brian. You should have seen the size of my pork chop and I ate it all. You would have been proud."




No comments:

Post a Comment