Saturday 12 April 2014

Box Sets #12 - Atlantic Jazz Legends

For less than £40 I was able to add this little item to my expanding collection of jazz recordings.


You may recall Atlantic releasing the superb 'Atlantic Soul Legends' box set which consisted of twenty classic albums spanning the years 1959 to 1975.








Well, now they have done the same with their impressive jazz catalogue.

Housed in a sturdy box with a removable lid, come twenty albums each in it's own mini LP replica sleeve complete, where appropriate, with the original sleeve notes.

At this point, I must add that the quality of the sleeves is very good indeed. I have encountered some that have virtually come apart once the disc has been removed a few times, but these appear very robust. Well done Atlantic and Rhino who have jointly produced this package.


I won't list all of the albums here but suffice to say that many major jazz artists are represented. These include, John Coltrane, Charlie Mingus, Ornette Colemen, Roland Kirk, The Modern Jazz Quartet, Art Blakey, Billy Cobham, Chick Corea, Thelonious Monk and many more. A great selection.

Also a nice touch is that the CD's have been manufactured to look like mini albums themselves. Perfect for those nostalgics like myself who enjoy the appearance of vinyl but don't want the crackles and clicks that all that entails.

Finally I should add that the booklet contains details of all the albums including the full band line-ups; essential information for jazz aficionados. 

I suspect that some of this music will be accompanying me when I go on holiday next week.








No comments:

Post a Comment