Monday 10 March 2014

Books #11 - Miles Davis, The Complete Illustrated History

I find it unbelievable and inexcusable that in almost 2 years of writing this blog, I have only made reference to Miles Davis on one previous occasion. I shall rectify that immediately.



This is the latest addition to the coffee table.

I must confess that when I spotted it on one of my regular visits to The Sage in Gateshead, I 
initially hesitated in making a purchase. Did I really need another book about Miles Davis?

Well The Sage had kindly reduced the price way below what even Amazon were asking, so the decision was effectively made for me.

The credit card was handed over, and the book was in the bag. Job done!

The book was published in 2012 and as the title suggests, is a chronological history of the life and career of Miles. With significant contributions from a host of well known musicians such as Sonny Rollins, Herbie Hancock and Ron Carter, writers and critics including, Ashley Kahn, Francis Davis, Garth Cartwright and Robin D G Kelley, plus promoters and fans such as George Wein and Bill Cosby, the book contains a wealth of information and fascinating insights.





Then of course, there are the photographs, with many coming through the lens of William "PoPsie" Randolph who captured Miles and his band members at various times including many candid shots taken at studio recording sessions.

I confess that I have not seen most of these photos before, and find them fascinating.

Other photographic contributions come from Francis Wolff, Lynn Goldsmith, William Gottlieb and Bob Willoughby.

All in all, it is a great collection and already it has driven me back to listen once again to the the wonderful back catalogue of the legend that was Miles Davis.

Currently on the hi-fi - 'Birth of the Cool'.

Lovely.


No comments:

Post a Comment