Friday 29 November 2013

Elche, Spain

Now back on home soil, I belatedly find the time to write about my penultimate day in Spain when I visited Elche which just happens to be one of my favourite cities. Steeped in history, Elche appears to have more than it's fair share of historic buildings, galleries and museums standing alongside the more contemporary buildings one would expect to see in a modern European city. Oh and of course, there are palm trees. 300,000 of them to be (fairly) precise. (I haven't personally counted them all). That works out at one palm tree for each of the city's inhabitants! The city is literally surrounded and infiltrated by palm trees.

You have possibly seen or even held one of the white palm crosses that are handed out in Christian churches just before Easter. Well, they all originate in Elche.

The city is situated just 21 Km (12 miles) from Alicante. I arrived by car and to avoid the city centre traffic  and the hassle of finding a parking space, I left the car on the outskirts of the city and enjoyed the 15 minute stroll into the centre. Despite it being November, there was still some strength in the sun, yet to most locals the temperature was well below what they are used to and they were mostly well wrapped up against the chill. They should try braving the temperatures in the north east of England on a cold November day. Personally I found the weather perfect for walking around all of the attractions the city has to offer.

I began my tour at the Basilica of Santa Maria, the building of which began in 1672 though there was originally a mosque on this site.
This is also the venue for the annual Mystery Play of Elche which takes place each August. Of medieval origin, the performance relates the story of the final days and the assumption into Heaven of the Virgin Mary.
I have not witnessed the play myself but it is said to be a wonderful spectacle. Perhaps one day I will see it.

Very close to the basilica, is the Alcàsser de la Senyoria, a fortress constructed between the 11th and 18th centuries.

From the castle, I wandered into the neighbouring municipal park where the plants and trees provide much needed shade during the hot summer months. Shade was not required during this visit but I appreciated the wonderful colours and smells that I do not usually get to enjoy at this time of year.

After wandering through more of the city, I found myself at El Huerto del Cura which is a smallish (13,000 sq metres) garden devoted to palms, cacti and a host of other exotic trees and plants. Despite being in the centre of a bustling city, I always find it to be totally calm and peaceful at this location. The only sounds I could hear were birdsong and the sound of running water from the small waterfalls or fountains.

This has to be the jewel in the crown of this wonderful city and visitors should not miss the opportunity to take in its many splendours, including the Imperial Palm. This tree is almost 200 years old and is unique in that it has seven stems growing from one main trunk.









It was given it's name when visited in 1894 by Empress Elizabeth of Austria who remarked that the tree had the power and strength of an empire.

Sadly my visit came to an end as did my time in Spain - for this year at least.


No comments:

Post a Comment