Wednesday 9 January 2013

The Sad State of British TV - Revisited

Back in May last year, I bemoaned the fact that British TV seemed to be in the doldrums with a repetitive stream of soap operas, cookery and makeover shows and a host of so-called reality programmes. Where, I wondered, were all the intelligent dramas?

The answer seemed to lie in Scandinavia as fortunately the BBC brought in programmes such as 'The Killing', 'The Bridge' and 'Borgen'.

The sad plight of UK TV was highlighted I believe on Saturday night when ITV screened a new show named Splash!  Although I managed to avoid seeing it, the show essentially revolved around Olympic diver Tom Daley teaching a bunch of so-called celebrities how to dive. It must have been bad as even the tabloid press described it as 'a new low for TV'. Strangely it still managed to attract 6.3 million viewers!

Thank goodness that on the same evening, BBC4 began screening the second series of the superb Danish political drama 'Borgen'. As I was out, I didn't manage to watch it then, but have recorded it to watch when the British TV screens are filled with the usual tosh. Thank goodness for the Scandinavians.

No comments:

Post a Comment