Tuesday 3 July 2012

Best Albums of 2012 - So Far

Now we are midway through 2012 I started wondering about the best albums I have heard so far this year. I confess that I have not yet heard the latest offerings by Dexy's or Richard Hawley, however the contenders include:-
The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now
Leonard Cohen - Old Ideas
Chuck Prophet - Temple Beautiful
The Shins - Port of Morrow
Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Americana
Patti Smith - Banga
Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
Giant Giant Sand - Tucson
The Decemberists - We All Raise Our Voices to the Air
Jack White - Blunderbuss

For me there are no doubts about the top three.

In reverse order -

3. Dr. John - Locked Down
In collaboration with Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys, Mac Rebennack has produced a fine album which refuses to rely on the swamp-funk of some of his back catalogue. The distinctive voice - midway between Tom Waits and Captain Beefheart - is still there but the songs belong in the 21st century. A great album from which I look forward to seeing him play live at The Sage in Gateshead later this month.

2. Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls
I wrote earlier about this band and album (see 10th May 2012) and to quote Gavin Haynes in the NME, 'It is as note perfect an album as you'll hear all year'.

1. Anais Mitchell - Young Man in America
I know I've been banging on about Anais Mitchell for a bit now but I have probably played this album every day since I first heard it. And I can't recall the last time one album received so much of my time and attention. Despite the illustrious list of artists above, I rate this album as the best of the year (so far) by a country mile!

No comments:

Post a Comment